Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
The 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act covers the full health and safety responsibilities for employers in Great Britain, and the occupational risks that should be considered. This ensures that employers work safely and responsibly, and we are committed to adhering to this legislation.
Health and Safety at Sense
At Sense Massage Therapy, we understand that health and safety is a huge part of what we do, and we are therefore wholly committed to managing the risks of our profession effectively and responsibly.
We always wish to ensure that both our therapists and our customers are taken care of with the utmost degree of sincerity and respect, minimising any health and safety concerns wherever reasonably possible.
Some key health and safety considerations with on-site massage include:
- minimising health risks for customers by performing a thorough safety check and confirming they are happy to be treated
- checking the pressure is pleasing for the person being treated, to ensure that they are always comfortable
- minimising risks and hazards to our therapists
- providing information and instruction on how to assess these hazards and risks
- ensuring that vulnerable individuals, such as minors, are not treated, if they are, that the treatment is given by an appropriately qualified therapist under the appropriate supervision
- ensuring equipment is in safe working condition
- ensuring that the environment is safe and comfortable for both the therapist and the individual
We have a comprehensive risk assessment system, which covers a number of risks and potential hazards including:
- Fire risks
- Trip hazards
- Over-exertion of client or therapist
- Client fainting due to the lowering of blood pressure with massage
- Risk of injury by jewellery
- Condition and cleanliness of massage equipment
Each of these issues are addressed in our comprehensive system, with pre-emptive steps to take to minimise the risk and clear instruction on how to deal with each situation should it arise.
For each company that makes a booking with us, as part of our service, we provide a bespoke risk assessment and method statement to help ensure both staff and customers stay safe on the day.
The Sense Massage Therapy Health and Safety Policy Statement
Our statement of general policy is:
- to ensure all therapists are competent to do their tasks, that they have received adequate training, and are fully insured to give the treatment;
- to ensure to provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities;
- to consult with our therapists on matters affecting their health and safety;
- to ensure all equipment is safe and clean for use, and has been through the necessary checks (where applicable);
- to provide information, instruction and supervision for therapists;
- to provide information, instruction and guidance for organisers;
- to prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health;
- to maintain safe and healthy working conditions;
- to review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals.